About Catherine Tuckwell Photography
You're looking for a photographer?
Alright, so you’d love some new family photographs, but from experience or research you’ve found that:
- You don’t want to put the children through the ordeal of sitting still, smiling politely in a studio.
- You’re not sure what to wear or get the rest of the family to wear for your session.
- You end up with lots of digital images on your computer that never see the light of day.
- If you do print any photographs yourselves, they end up in cheap, Ill-fitting frames that get lost amongst the rest of the framed pictures on the mantelpiece.
- There are waaaay too many options for photographic products...
- ...And even more options for canvas and wall art sizes and you’re not sure which size will be best.
- Anything you do order comes in too much wasteful or plastic packaging - won’t somebody please think of the sea turtles?!
I know how you feel. I’ve been there.
As a photographer I had thousands of both digital and printed images that I never looked at.
When I did get any put onto canvas or framed, I ended up with so many I never had enough wall space to hang them all.
This all changed when I started becoming a minimalist. I found that I still wanted images hung on my walls, but only ones that I truly loved.
I want to help you take and find some images of you and your family that you truly love. Images that will hang proudly on your walls for many years to come.
My services include:
- Helping you choose an outdoor location where the children can run around and express themselves.
- Pointing you in the right direction of what to wear - and what not to wear!
- I offer four Collections of wall art and photo books to suit your needs and budget.
- My wall art comes in three sizes and the photo books in two. Frames are offered in three colours so you don’t have the stress of choosing from dozens of options.
- I can show you sizes and samples from a professional photo lab and framer, so you can feel the quality of the tangible products in your hands.
- For every image you order in your collection, you receive a digital image that can be shared online. That way you only have your favourite photographs and not the 500 surplus to take up more space on your computer.
- I take care of any excess packaging either at my end or the photo lab’s end (by “take care” I mean composting, reusing or recycling, not like “take care” Mafia style...).
- Ordering all the wall art and photo books and arranging a time to deliver or for you to pick them up when it is convenient.
- If you need a hand putting your wall art on your wall, let me know and I’ll bring my tape measure, spirit level and stepladders (I am only 4’11”!).
To find out more about how I can help you solve your most pressing issues about photography sessions and artwork, go to my Contact page.
If you’d like to know more about me, just keep scrolling!
Hi, I’m Catherine!
I am a family photographer in Sunderland in the north east of England. I create beautiful collections of wall art and photo books of your family, children and pets.
That's me outside Bag End at Hobbiton in New Zealand. I call it my future retirement home.
Most days you can find me with some sort of camera in my hand, photographing the local area or working from home while searching for travel inspiration.
I am mostly known for creating colourful photographic artwork and having lots of mad but well-intentioned ideas that don’t always come through - but sometimes they do!
People often refer to me as “the one who is always gallivanting off somewhere!”
I love serving the world by choosing reusable items over disposable (apart from toilet paper, obviously!)
My mission is to provide a custom photography artwork service to create a unique piece of heirloom quality wall art. I want to use my photography to highlight the natural beauty on our doorstep and inspire people to appreciate the natural world through an experience they share as a family.
I try to be eco-friendly in my work by doing paperwork digitally to save paper and by offering products that are sustainably sourced and produced. I also offer an incentive to my clients in which they can adopt an animal through WWF.
I work with people who are looking for a unique memento of a special time in their lives. Through my photography I am able to remind them of an experience that they shared together as a family. My candid, informal style shows the relationship between family members while the locations for my sessions highlight the natural beauty on our doorstep.
When I’m not busy working on my photography you can catch me reading, watching BBC natural history documentaries, relaxing with a coffee or wine and some chocolate, or gallivanting off somewhere. London is my favourite place as I happen to go there often and have some excruciatingly happy (and painful!) sporting memories from the capital.
The things I am most passionate about in life are travel, the environment, tennis, football and food.
For my 30th birthday I went on a safari to Kenya which was an unreal experience and when I was maybe half that age I went scuba-diving on the Great Barrier Reef (just don’t get on an aeroplane the very next day or your ears will be in agony!).
I enjoy cooking meals with normal storecupboard items and baking nice things. Mainly curries, pastas, burgers and muffins!
If you’re keen to know more, here are five things you might not know about me.
1. In 2012 Mam and I missed our flight home from New York City so we could stay on Arthur Ashe court to watch Andy Murray win the US Open. That was the year we got caught in the hurricane that pushed the day of the final back.
2. I am a huge Lord of the Rings geek as you can tell from my profile photograph!
3. For January 2018 I began transitioning to a vegan diet…I’m still transitioning and looking to keep it going.
4. As an aspiring minimalist I enjoy decluttering and having fuss free, practical but beautiful items around me, mainly purple things. I like purple.
5. I am 31 years old and still obsessed with dinosaurs…but then, who isn’t?
While you're here, why not have a browse?
Check out my Galleries for examples of my work. My Products page gives you a close up view of the high quality photography products, while my Collections menu shows the four groupings I offer.
Head on over to my Blog to check out useful tips for making the most of your session with me. My Featured Blog Posts include some basic posing tips, a few ideas for session locations and the all important what to wear!
Finally my FAQs should answer any queries you may have.
If you haven’t started running away like Indiana Jones running from that big ball and you think we might get along, why not contact me or sign up for my email newsletter below? You'll receive a free pdf guide to Family Photography as a thank you!
I said I like to read! :)
I like owls, too...
"We were concerned that our two-year-old daughter would be hard to manage and we would have a lot of blurry photos, however Catherine handled her perfectly. The presentation of the final shots was well done and a bit emotional! Catherine is professional and friendly and goes above and beyond to make sure everything is finished perfectly."
Donna and Richard